What is the Intra-Company Transfers Program?
Intra means “within”. The Intra-Company Transfer Program provides a method for International companies to transfer qualified employees to Canada, on a temporary immigration status, for the purpose of improving management effectiveness, expanding Canadian exports, and enhancing competitiveness in overseas markets.
Intra-company transfers are guided by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations and the general provisions of the Intra-Company Transfer Program with provisional supplementation within International Trade agreements for citizens of signatory countries.
Requirements for the Intra-Company Transfers Program
For the Employee:
- Intra-company transferees must apply for a work permit and qualify under the general eligibility requirements of a work permit and general requirements for temporary immigration.
For the Employer:
- submit an offer of employment to Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada,
- pay a $230 employer compliance fee
- provide the employee who is applying for a work permit, an offer of employment number.
The three (3) employee categories that are allowed for Intra-Company Transfers are,
- Senior managers
- Specialized Workers (those with specialized skills and qualifications for the job)
The company and employee must,
- show they have a qualifying relationship between each other,
- show the employee to be continuously employed full-time with that company for at least one year, within the last three (3) years
- show that coming to Canada is to perform comparable work.
Benefits of the Intra-Company Transfers Program
- NOC 0 (managerial, executive) or NOC A (professional) level positions may qualify an employee to be eligible for two-week application processing.
- Intra-company transferees may be in a strong position to apply for permanent residency, which allows them to work anywhere in Canada. They can apply through any Canadian Immigration Program which they can qualify.
- The employee may obtain five to seven-year maximum extension of his/her work permit under some circumstances.
Restrictions of the Intra-Company Transfers Program
- Intra-Company Transfer Program generally allows for a work permit for a one-year duration. The company and employee can apply for a renewal of the work permit if they need to.
Exemptions to the Intra-Company Transfers Program
- Intra-company transferees are exempt from the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
What can Firebird Consultants do for your application to the Intra-Company Transfers Program?
Firebird Consultants will help you with the initial assessment, application preparation and correspondence on your behalf with the federal and/or provincial government until the final decision is made on your application through the Intra-Company Transfers Program.
If you are looking for a Russian speaking immigration consultant in Vernon, Kelowna, Okanagan, or in Canada to provide immigration support – please contact us for a free assessment.