What is the International Mobility Program?
The International Mobility Program (IMP) is designed for the hiring of foreign workers, by employers, to fill temporary labour and skill shortages, without having to qualify for the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
Requirements for the International Mobility Program
For the Foreign Worker:
- Foreign worker must apply online.
- Foreign worker must have all required documents for their visa application.
- Foreign worker must apply for a work permit (requirements and conditions apply).
- A foreign worker may be eligible for an open work permit, which allows them to work for any employer and is not job-specific (requirements and conditions apply).
For the Employer:
- An employer, in most cases (but not all), must submit an offer of employment through the Employer Portal. The temporary foreign worker must then apply for a work permit.
- Hiring a temporary foreign worker who has an open work permit, the employer does not need to submit an offer of employment or pay the employer compliance fee. This applies to LMIA-exempt employers.
Types of open work permits
There are two types:
- unrestricted (foreign nationals can work in any occupation and location).
- restricted (restricts the occupation or location).
Benefits of the International Mobility Program
- The foreign worker may qualify for a fast 2-week processing of their application. Conditions apply.
- The foreign worker may be eligible for an open work permit.
Restrictions of the International Mobility Program
- A foreign national, seeking an open work permit, can only obtain one under one of the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) exemptions.
- The work status for a foreign worker is temporary, which is why they are classified as a temporary foreign worker.
- Once your temporary foreign worker arrives, there are certain conditions and responsibilities the employer must meet. If they do not, the Government of Canada could issue a penalty.
- The International Mobility Program is not for any foreign worker who needs an LMIA. A foreign worker who needs an LMIA must apply through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP).
Exemptions to the International Mobility Program
- A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) exemption.
What can Firebird Consultants do for your application to the International Mobility Program (IMP)?
Firebird Consultants will help you with the initial assessment, application preparation and correspondence on your behalf with the federal and/or provincial government until the final decision is made on your application through the International Mobility Program.
If you are looking for a Russian speaking immigration consultant in Vernon, Kelowna, Okanagan, or in Canada to provide immigration support – please contact us for a free assessment.