Moving abroad and leaving your loved ones on the opposite coast is not easy. One of the objectives of Government of Canada is to see that families are reunited.

Firebird Consultants Group recognizes the importance of family reunification and takes pride in assisting Canadians and Permanent Residents with their family members on this journey.

The Canadian government offers a number of ways to allow this dream to become a reality under its Family Class Sponsorship class. Canada’s Family Class Sponsorship programs are some of the most generous family reunification programs in the developed world. You may be eligible to sponsor a child, spouse or a common-law partner living outside or inside Canada if you are 18 years of age or older, and you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.



For immigration purposes the age limit of dependent children is 22.  In order to qualify as a dependent, your child must be within the age limit, as well as meet the requirements of a dependent child. Children qualify as dependents if they meet both requirements: they’re under 22 years old, and they don’t have a spouse or partner. Children 22 years old or older qualify as dependents if they meet both requirements: they have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22, and they are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition.Add block


Currently there is no direct sponsorship program for brothers and sisters of Canadian citizens or permanent residents.  However, their siblings can apply for permanent residency as economic class immigrants and receive fifteen additional points under Express Entry. There are two other ways for brothers and sisters to apply for immigration under the family class. The first option would include dependent children under parents’ sponsorship. In this case the parent(s) may include their child as a dependent.  To qualify as a dependent, the sponsored child must meet certain requirements. In some exceptional circumstances brothers and sisters may be sponsored under orphaned close relative program.


For international adoptions, you must complete the adoption process and the citizenship or immigration process, before you may bring your child to live with you in Canada. In order to sponsor your adopted child to Canada, it is necessary to apply for Citizenship or Immigration (Permanent Residency). The adopted child receives a direct grant of citizenship through the citizenship process.


In certain circumstances, you may qualify to sponsor your relative under “last remaining relative” exception program.  This program allows a permanent resident or citizen of Canada to sponsor any relative (related by blood or adoption) regardless of age, if sponsor doesn’t have any of the below-mentioned relatives in Canada, who are either permanent residents or citizens: spouse/common-law partner, child, parent(s)/grandparent(s), sibling, niece/nephew, aunt/uncle. In addition, sponsor should not have any members of family class (who could be sponsored) outside of Canada. If you sponsor a relative to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you must support your relative financially.


Currently there is no direct sponsorship program for a friend of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. However, friends of permanent residents or Canadian citizens may apply for visitor visa, if they are from non-visa-exempt country. Visa office will ask to submit a letter of invitation from the friend living in Canada. The applicant must then send this letter to the Canadian embassy or consulate outside of Canada when they apply for a temporary resident visa. Countries whose citizens require a visitor visa to enter Canada can be found on Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s website.


Through the Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program, you may be able to sponsor refugees from abroad who qualify to come to Canada. Your role as a sponsor will be to support the refugees for the length of the sponsorship. This includes help for housing, clothing and food, as well as social and emotional support.